Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Weight of Distance

You might remember when my best friends moved a few months ago. K left in March and S left in May. Those ladies were like appendages to me and I haven't been the same with them gone. Especially this week. Last Monday, K gave birth to her second baby, a beautiful girl. If it weren't for the fact that I was moving out of our condo seven days later, there is a very good chance I would've been on an airplane out of town. I was anxious to see K, and the new baby. And who was going to watch the older daughter, and cook dinners and help clean the house when K's mom left a few days after the baby was born? Seeing just pictures over the internet instead of actually holding that new baby and seeing my friend? Really hard. Yesterday, S told me that she's pregnant with #3! She is wonder woman. #1 turned 2 just a couple of months ago, #2 is barely 9 months old, and yes - this was a planned baby. Wow. And to be able to tell her I'm excited for her and mail her a YEAH! card is not the same as a big hug. That I am apart, forever, from my best friends is setting in. And breaking my heart all over again.

3 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 10:08:00 AM, Blogger Trista said...

I totally understand. My best friends are 12 hours and 2 hours away, and it is so hard missing them (especially when big things happen). It's also hard to think of our kids not growing up together (in the same place, seeing each other often).

Sometimes a phone call or a letter just isn't enough.

 
At 6/29/2006 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that has to be hard for all of you. congrats to your friends and good luck with your upcoming move. when's it happening?

 
At 6/29/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger j.sterling said...

yoiu're going to have to make a special trip to see them!!! it is hard, but thank god for email, phones, etc.
my best friends are about 12 hours away. sucks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home