Thursday, June 22, 2006

The "My Furniture is Uglier Than Your Furniture" Contest

I have no idea if this will work, seeing as I have probably 5 regular readers. But if it somehow worked, I think it would be a blast. If it's going to work, my readers are going to have to recruit people - somehow, anyhow. Our dining room table is a hand-me-down from a friend of my grandma's who went into a nursing home. My grandma got this table for me, and believe it or not, I've been really happy to have it - most of the time. I love that it has so many leaves and can fold down to a small 4 seater table, or fold out and expand to a huge buffet table that can seat a ton of people. But. It's so ugly. The table is currently hidden under packing things, so I'll just tell you that it's a terrible dark orange/brown/yellow wood color that's terribly scratched. So I've always had to keep a table cloth on it. And the chairs. Oh, the chairs. If this contest ends up working, it's going to be hard to beat these ugly chairs. My entry to the contest: Here's a close-up of the seats. If you're brave enough, share your ugly furniture pictures and post a link in the comments to your blog.

5 Comments:

At 6/24/2006 07:41:00 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I wish I could compete but we have pretty decent furniture right now. When we were first married that was completely different but over the years we have gotten some pretty decent things.

 
At 6/26/2006 07:14:00 AM, Blogger smart mama said...

i just spray painted and recovered our nook table and chairs- hand me downs from my 87 yr old uncle'smother (who died) before i got married- wish i had a before pic- i try hard not to have ugly furniture i think i was tortured my parents gold velour for too many years

 
At 6/26/2006 02:48:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You could re-cover those cushions so easily! I just did it with my dining room chairs. And those chairs you have actually have some pretty good bones! Go find some fabric you like; I'll coach you if you want!

 
At 6/26/2006 06:20:00 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I kind of like the upholstery...(ducking my head in shame)...

I should have taken pictures of our piano and big living room coffee table before I painted them black. The piano was a supercheap school piano (high school, I hope, judging from the graffiti all over it). I had to fill in a lot of the carved obscenities with putty before priming and painting. The big coffee table (about $10, I think, neighbor's yard sale) was scratched-up, magic-markered, chewing-gummed country pine from the early 90's that had lived in a kids' playroom too long. But it's lovely now.

 
At 6/29/2006 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

oooh, that's some interesting upholstery. ;)
we have slowly been replacing hand-me-down furniture with our own over the past several years, but we still have a lot of old stuff from relatives. it's so expensive to furnish a house!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home