Wednesday, July 26, 2006

settled. or settled?

With previous moves and purchases, I have always kept the boxes of my more valuable or breakable objects. Most of my vases have been stored in their original boxes, as was the crystal and china we received for our wedding. Serving trays and serving bowls? Same story. The griddle has its box. So does the crock pot. It's because, every time I moved, I knew it was temporary. I moved to the San Francisco area after college in May 1999. One year later, I moved closer to work. Only about 20 miles - but I moved. Two years later, I moved into a house in the same city. About a year and a half later I moved a couple miles away (again) when I got married. We stayed in that first married apartment just four days short of one year. We moved into our condo (only about 5 miles away from that first married apartment) in March 2003 and stayed there until July 2005. I move. A lot. Seven years. Five residences. (I read that and wonder, if I dislike the moving process as much as I claim to, why make so many volunatry moves?) If you receive a change of address card from me in the next week (or whenever I manage to get to the post office and buy stamps), please feel free to ink our information in, instead of using pencil. We're [planning on] staying here for at least 10 years. Which is why I decided to recycle all the boxes for all of my valuables/breakables. We have room for these things in proper cabinets in this house; none of the china or crystal will be stashed in dark closests here. And we're staying. So there's no point in keeping boxes. Right? It's very interesting, and slightly uncomfortable, for me to realize that we will be settling here. This will be a long-term home. But why am I uncomfortable? We love our house, and I think our neighborhood will turn out to be fantastic. The town (yikes! I live in a town) is quaint *but growing* and homey. It's a nice place. But every time I unpacked more kitchen things, I kept looking over at Nathan. "I should throw away the box, right?" "Still throwing away the boxes. Okay?" "Are you sure I should throw away these boxes?" He was patient and sweet and very confused. 1) They're JUST boxes! Buy NEW if you need them! 2) We are settling. It's OKAY.

3 Comments:

At 7/26/2006 06:32:00 PM, Blogger bella said...

You can -- gasp! -- throw away boxes??? (But, what would I keep in the garage!? At least we have the excuse that we are renting, so will be moving again in the not-too-distant future!

Glad you are settling in, and letting go of your boxes!

--bella

 
At 7/26/2006 09:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming to Utah! I have no idea where you live in Utah, but it would be fun if I'll be in the same city and we could meet. I would love to talk about adoption stuff. I'll send you an email!

 
At 7/26/2006 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I know how you feel. Our moving days are no where near over though but that is the "joy" of being a military family. It feels kinda wierd that we have been here for over two years and have two more to go before we are up for a transfer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home