Monday, May 08, 2006

2X4, meet Julie. Julie, 2X4.

I came home from church yesterday frustrated, again, with the place we've chosen to move. I go through the week neutral about moving to Utah. Then I'm happy with the idea. Once in awhile, I even get excited. Those mountains? Beautiful. All of the outdoors things there will be to do as a family? Fantastic! The family-oriented community? Great place to raise kids. And the seasons - Utah has four! I tell people we're moving to Utah, and 75% of the time - or more - I get a response like "Oh my goodness, WHY would you do THAT?" And many times, these are people from church, who one might expect to be a little more supportive. And many times, I'll leave church or these people and I'll feel frustrated and sad about our decision all over again. After church yesterday I came home and suggested we pray about it - one more time. Maybe we'd get an answer that it would be ok to move to Colorado this time. Nathan just looked at me. So I suggested that maybe we could ask for Oregon this time - we hadn't prayed about moving to Oregon before. I explained to Nathan the predicament I was in and started working my way away from the opinions of other people and trying to be excited again. Just two hours after we got home from church, I went back to practice for choir. The song we just started working on? I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go.

1. It may not be on the mountain height Or over the stormy sea, It may not be at the battle’s front My Lord will have need of me. But if, by a still, small voice he calls To paths that I do not know, I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine: I’ll go where you want me to go.

[Chorus] I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord, Over mountain or plain or sea; I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord; I’ll be what you want me to be.

2. Perhaps today there are loving words Which Jesus would have me speak; There may be now in the paths of sin Some wand’rer whom I should seek. O Savior, if thou wilt be my guide, Tho dark and rugged the way, My voice shall echo the message sweet: I’ll say what you want me to say.

3. There’s surely somewhere a lowly place In earth’s harvest fields so wide Where I may labor through life’s short day For Jesus, the Crucified. So trusting my all to thy tender care, And knowing thou lovest me, I’ll do thy will with a heart sincere: I’ll be what you want me to be.

Text: Mary Brown, 1856–1918

Music: Carrie E. Rounsefell, 1861–1930

Knowing thou lovest me, I'll be what you want me to be. I'll answer, Dear Lord, with my hand in thine. I'll go where you want me to go. Even if it's to Utah. Even better, I'm not just working on having a good attitude about our move now - I'm embracing our move. The Lord would never ask our family to do anything that would be detremental to us, or family, or our future. There's a world of opportunity and promise and hope waiting for us in Utah. I'm excited to find out what's there.

1 Comments:

At 5/08/2006 08:58:00 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Utah is not so bad. I had to get drug there kicking and screaming, but that is where I met hubbie and all that other good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home