Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What we'll miss about CA, an incomplete list

I'm all consumed with the move. Two nights ago the things that I would miss about here were swirling around my head so quickly that I couldn't sleep for hours (and usually, I'm asleep within 30 seconds of my head hitting the pillow). So last night after dinner, Nathan and I made a list of the things we'll miss about being here. For a list of 56 things, it sure didn't take long. Ideally, I'd like to create a list one year after we move to Utah of everything we like/love about being there - one item on that list for each item on this list. But I don't know if that's likely to happen - it's taken us years to discover and fall in love with some of the things on this last, so I can't expect to love my new home (did I really just call Utah my new home?) overnight. But I'll try. In no particular order (we'll add to the list when things come up): (note: this list isn't meant to be a "we're so devestated we're leaving these things behind", but a celebration of things we've been blessed to discover, live and experience while we've been here) *Panera *Trader Joes (please don't be the 101st person to tell me that Wild Oats will fill the void) *Monterey (we got engaged on the beach here, and go back several times a year) *Carmel *Cambria *San Diego *the water - bay/ocean *Golden Gate Bridge *Golden Gate Park *San Francisco *SF Zoo (the African Savannah exhibit is awesome) *the Ferry Building in SF *China Town *real Dim Sum *Sausalito *Napa Valley *our county's trail system (canals, hills and mountains - biking, hiking, etc - we're insanely close to so many trail heads) *East Bay Regional Parks (the variety, the quantity, the quality) *Mt. Diablo (especially that view from the top!) *the amount of open space we're surrounded by *Half Price Books *Berkeley *Rockridge *The walking-ness of my neighborhood (within 1.5 miles I've got 3 grocery stores, a library, 2 post offices, and many, many other shops and parks) *spring green hills (that are still green in May! It's like they did it just for us.) *perfect weather 10+ of 12 months/year *diversity *being the minority (I'll probably have a whole other post about that in the future) *being close to family *Bishop Creek *Mammoth *Devils Postpile *The Sierra Range (happy, steve?) *trains (added, of course, by Nathan) *the variety of geographical and topographical features so close *my children won't be another generation of Califonians *Farmers Markets (especially the one on Thursday nights May-Oct where there's live music and families bringing picnics and eating ethnic food and buying fresh flowers and strawberries - the one where I learned how to breastfeed in public and Jacob learned to stand) *Fleet Week/Blue Angels *Major League Baseball *BART *Baja Fresh *In-n-Out *the variety of museums *variety and amount of cultural stuff (like Chinese New Year Festival) *San Diego! *SD Zoo *Walnut Creek *Broadway Plaza *Santa Monica (the pier, 3rd Street) *Santa Barbara *Highway 1 *the day and weekend trips we have taken, and even more - the ones we had planned on taking but probably won't get the chance *our county library system

6 Comments:

At 5/02/2006 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Not really made that kind of list yet...we HAVE made a list of things we're excited for in Utah, however. That's a little shorter, and we're still adding to it.

 
At 5/02/2006 08:43:00 PM, Blogger Bek said...

Good news,

There is a Baja Fresh in Layton and one in Sugarhouse. People try and tell me that Cafe Rio is so great...but I don't buy it.....

:-)

I know how you feel about missing stuff. I was not happy to move from NYC to CA, and it did take awhile, but now we have a longer list for here then there! Great list. Come back and stay with us and visit all your towns.

P.S. I was shooting in SF last Sat and was in the Presidio...and at the park down at Crissy field. WHY don't I go there more?

Nothing will replace Trader Joes--the good news is that you won't "accidentaly" eat an entire bag of Pirates Booty. Bad news, you won't accidentally eat a bag of Pirates Booty.

What city are you moving to?

 
At 5/02/2006 08:44:00 PM, Blogger Bek said...

OH, you will miss the grand opening of H&M Kids......cheapest clothes ever and it is in your very own Walnut Creek! I will be headed there a few times a month now, I am sure......

 
At 5/03/2006 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

My parents miss Trader Joe's and they have never even lived here. Just let me know what you want from there and I will email it to you lol

 
At 5/03/2006 08:44:00 AM, Blogger smart mama said...

hey we used to live in San Ramon- I taught in Fremont and worked at UCSF-- totally miss working evenings and watching the fog roll in by the bridge...
lets see UT... DI? good milkshakes?

 
At 5/03/2006 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Gabriela said...

Ok, any suggestions on great hotels in San Francisco? We are going this summer for our 10th anniversary. If you think of any, let me know! Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home