Thursday, May 25, 2006

First Love

One day, I might get the daughter I dream of having. One day, she might ask me about my first love. And I'll giggle a 45 year old womans giggle while I remember being five years old. My daughter and I, we'll lie on our backs on the sweet green grass and watch the clouds and I'll tell her.

It was at this school:
At a playground that looked nothing like this:
I had long, shiny hair. Almost black. Two braids; one coming off each side of my oval head. I remember denim. A skirt. Probably a red top. With a collar. This was 1980, after all. And knee socks. Good grief, there were knee socks. Navy blue shoes that buckled so they could stay on tight as I ran. I ran in circles around that playground chasing Brandon. Brandon Drew. I ran so fast after him I'm surprised my freckles didn't fall off. He was in my class and my idea of the most perfect kindergarten boyfriend ever. He had medium brown hair that was cut just perfect. He could read, he could probably color in the lines. But what grabbed me the most? Oh, the way he could kick a ball. He was the kick ball champ, and I was his five year old love slave. Who he hated. Because he did not want to be chased all around that playground by a dumb girl in a denim skirt with braids flailing out behind her. No. He wanted to play kickball, darn it. And I'll look at the clouds as I tell her my story and I'll smile and be glad I'm not five anymore. I'll be glad those braids are long gone. Be glad the knee socks are history. But I'll miss those freckles, every last one. I'll smile and I'll sigh and I'll roll onto my side and prop myself on my elbow while I look at my daughter and I'll tell her that no matter how many times I thought I was in love, no matter how many times I wanted the boy-of-the-moment to love me back, I'm so thankful none of them panned out. Not one of them could ever come close to comparing to her father. (What? It's not Sunday? No kidding! But it is Thursday afternoon, and both boys are sleeping and the house is quiet. So let's just pretend it's Sunday, m'kay? Thanks.) brought to you by Sunday Scribblings

16 Comments:

At 5/25/2006 04:30:00 PM, Blogger gkgirl said...

i so loved this...

especially the "chased him so hard
i'm surprised my freckles didn't
fall off" part...

you so captured being 5.

:)

 
At 5/25/2006 04:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaww! I loved this post- from the playground it didn't look like to the imaginary daughter, to the gratitude and appreciation for what you DO have.

 
At 5/25/2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Deirdre said...

This is really wonderful.

 
At 5/26/2006 06:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! Very well said. I hope you get that daughter someday, too.

 
At 5/26/2006 02:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely, lovely, lovely

 
At 5/26/2006 09:03:00 PM, Blogger papyrus said...

A lovely piece. You captured the atmosphere both of the original story and of lying in the grass with your 'some day' daughter so well.

 
At 5/27/2006 09:25:00 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

It's my first time to your blog and I must say I LOVE the name. And your writing is just beautiful ... the picture too!

 
At 5/27/2006 04:06:00 PM, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

First love and recess...and the joy of teling our little ones just how it happened! That sweetness of life!

 
At 5/27/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Alex S said...

This story warmed my heart! So glad its the first on Sunday Scribblings this week so many will read it!

 
At 5/28/2006 10:18:00 AM, Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a sweet, heartfelt story. Fantastic!

 
At 5/28/2006 12:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous...I loved it.

 
At 5/28/2006 02:28:00 PM, Blogger John E. Tran said...

A wonderful post! Hope your dream of having a daughter will come dream some day.

John.

 
At 5/28/2006 02:30:00 PM, Blogger John E. Tran said...

... sorry, will come true... :)

 
At 5/28/2006 08:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! My little girl had a boy she fell for at 5. They still swear they will get married some day (she's 6).

lucky candice

 
At 5/29/2006 05:05:00 AM, Blogger Joy Eliz said...

Beautiful...very beautiful!

 
At 5/29/2006 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So lovely and dreamy. Beautifully written!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home