Monday, April 17, 2006

too much stuff!

I'm going through all of our closets and throwing away bagful after bagful of "stuff" as we're getting ready to put our house up for sale in the next several weeks. This "stuff" has generally been sitting in closets for most of the last 2 years. Some of the stuff has made a Very Important Cameo during its residence in our home, and then gone back to being unused and neglected. I'm throwing away all these things (and recycling, and gifting and donating) and it is incredibly freeing. My mom, like oh so many other people in this world, is a hoarder. Seeing her stacks brings fiery anxiety right up to the tops of my eyeballs. I swore I would never have piles of unused "stuff"sitting around, no matter how important those things were to me at one time. And the thing is - I didn't think I had that many piles! Ha ha...joke's on me. If it wasn't making me insane having so much garbage on the floor of my bedroom, I'd take a picture and post it...but it's got to get out of the house before I need to start my happy pills again. Question of the year: will I be able to stick to my "just because we're moving into a bigger house does not mean we need to fill every room and closet" resolve - even 5 years after we've lived there? XXXXXX (that's all my fingers crossed really tight!)

4 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 07:29:00 PM, Blogger Lei said...

I am such a closet pig... I even blogged about it. Seriously. I gotta get a grip on it, because I had a packrat for a mother too and cannot stand stacks or disorder anywhere else in my house!

 
At 4/17/2006 08:39:00 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I hate clutter and I think the only thing that has kept me honest is that we have been moving so much. Otherwise I am sure the stuff would be piled up and breeding in all my hidden nooks and crannies of the house.

 
At 4/18/2006 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

I love to throw away things. There is a great freedom in doing so. Growing up, my mom would go through our bags of trash when we cleaned our rooms and pull out anything she felt we should keep. I hated that! I love throwing away now and knowing, I can do it and not get in trouble!

 
At 4/18/2006 02:20:00 PM, Blogger Lei said...

just had to come back and you've inspired me! a friend and i sorted through my most disastrous closet today! it felt GOOD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home