Monday, February 06, 2006

nathan appreciates this blog

He says I need a creative outlet. He says I need somewhere to unload. And he says that, while he likes my stories, he can’t be there 100% of the time to be my vehicle for unloading. I was trying to tell him about a poignant moment on The Biggest Loser. It came out like this: So during play group at Shanelle’s we watched her Tivo’d episode of the Biggest Loser from the other night. We started watching TV because Amber wanted to watch the previous nights episode of Meet the Barkers that Shanelle had also Tivo’d. You know, I’d only seen one or two of those when they first came out, but didn’t really get too into it. So they were filling me in at lunch on Saturday and told me this funny story about how the Barkers are really normal rich people. I guess on this one episode they bid on a lot at an auction at their kids school where they’d have their whole house decorated really fancy for Christmas. They won, paid a boat load to the school. They got their house decorated with this huge tree, lights - the whole ten yards. Then the company that did it wanted $10K, but they’d won it at an auction! You know, the merchants are supposed to donate for the cause. Lame. So the Barkers made the company come back, take the decorations down and away instead of paying the $10,000. Which they totally could have afforded, since on the episode we watched Thursday, they spent $20K on ugly furniture for their little boys room. But I just thought it made them seem cool that they stuck to their guns like real people instead of paying out money they could’ve afforded. Anyhow, we watched this episode of Meet the Barkers because Amber doesn’t have Tivo. Can you believe she doesn’t have Tivo? I thought we were late to that party, but Amber’s even later. And she doesn’t have a digital camera, either. Miss PhD is technologically backward, and afraid of doing anything other than basic word processing. Isn’t that wild? Anyway, after we watched Meet the Barkers, we watched The Biggest Loser from the night before, and I told the girls how I had told you just a night earlier that it was too bad you weren’t overweight like me because if you were we could totally go on the show together so I won’t have to go without you and leave you, which won’t happen anyway since I can’t stand the thought of leaving you and Jake for that many months. And I told them how you weren’t thrilled that I wished you were overweight. But anyway, that part about the Biggest Loser I wanted to tell you about... \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ N: Whatcha writing about? J: I’m just writing down that conversation we had. You know, the one where I talked and you listened? N: so are you writing about some of your ideas for writing we talked about, or journaling the conversation where I told you that you needed an outlet? J: yes.

1 Comments:

At 2/06/2006 06:34:00 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I love that conversation. It sounds like your reasons for blogging are somewhat similar to mine.

Stop talking about all the creative things you're gonna write and start writing them. Blogging seems so much less threatening than A BOOK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home